Collected and compiled by professional deer hunting guides
Covert Ranch Professional Guide Tips for Hunter Performance and Safety in South Texas
- Use not less than a .270 caliber rifle with at least 150 grain bullets. Big South Texas bucks can weigh up to 250 pounds on the hoof, and tracking a wounded animal in the harsh brush country is not the best way to spend your day.
- Choose reliable high weight retention bullets, such as Barnes Triple Shock. For assistance, contact Superior Ammunition in South Dakota.
- Zero your rifle dead-on at 100 yards. You will have one well-placed shot. Then, your hunt is over, one way or the other.
- If you cannot shoot minute angle of groups of one inch, contact a gunsmith.
- Practice, practice, practice. Do not go on a South Texas whitetail deer hunting trip without confidence in your shot placement and ability to perform under duress and to demonstrate poise and confidence.
- Observe Hunter Safety Rules at all times.
- Do not point a muzzle anywhere but vertically up or down.
- Listen to your deer hunting guide’s instructions at all times.
- Do not load or unload your rifle unless instructed to do so by your guide.
- Never leave a shell in the chamber or in the magazine on your way to and from the Texas deer hunting location.
- Load and chamber a round and place your rifle on safety only when told to do so by your guide.
- When instructed to aim at your deer, do so with the safety on.
- Do not take your rifle off safety until instructed to do so.
- Never climb a ladder or enter a vehicle or dwelling with a loaded rifle.
- Never fire at an animal unless you have first carefully confirmed your target with your guide. Tell the guide what your buck is doing and what direction it is facing to confirm that you are both on the same page.
- Be sure your animal is in the clear and that your shot will not “accidentally” harm other deer or anything in front or behind it.
- Use ear protection in your near ear — the left ear if you are right handed. Leave your offear unobstructed to be able to communicate clearly with your Texas whitetail deer hunting guide.
- Notify your guide if you are hard of hearing or are left handed or cannot see or comfortably aim at your target.
- Again, do not point your rifle at anything or anyone you do not intend to kill—at anytime.
- Do not wear noisy clothing during your South Texas whitetail hunting experience.
- Bathe and shave before your whitetail deer hunts. Be sensible about reducing body odors which may scare off the deer and defile the field.
- Be quiet at all times, before and after your shot and warn your guide and fellow hunters before you shoot.
- After your shot, on command from your guide, quietly withdraw your rifle and unload the spent shell and reload.
- Be courteous, obedient and careful at all times and never forget that you are a guest in the field and back at camp during your stay at our Texas hunting ranch.
- Do not drink alcohol until after the last hunt of the day and until your weapon is safely unloaded, secured and stowed and do not drink alcohol excessively after dark.
- Never lay a rifle flat on a truck seat, truck bed, couch, table or any other flat surface.
- Always remember that the first priority when deer hunting is that all hunters go into the field and return safely and alive. All other concerns are secondary and relatively unimportant.
- Understand that your guide is dedicated to helping you succeed on your hunt. Trust your guide and obey your guide’s instructions at all times.
- Always demonstrate self-respect and respect wildlife, rules, federal and state hunting laws and respect for your guides and fellow hunters.
- Remember the old adage that a man’s true character will come out on a hunting trip and ask yourself how you can demonstrate sportsmanship, maturity and restraint and consideration for others.
South Texas whitetail deer hunts should be used as an opportunity to become a better and more knowledgeable and experienced hunter and to set an example for others.
We'll do our best to make your Texas deer hunting experience truly memorable to ensure that you will be back to hunt with us again next year with your family, friends and clients.